Skip to main content

My Skincare Routine

When my acne reached its lowest point about a year ago, I decided enough was enough and started following a basic skincare regimen. Up until that point, I didn't follow any kind of skincare regimen. I would wash my face once a day (during my morning shower) and I would go to bed without removing my makeup. Granted, I didn't wear a lot of makeup on a daily basis - only kajal, lipstick and some compact powder. But still, I was not taking care of my skin in any shape or form. Once the acne issue started, I figured the most basic skincare routine would be enough to get my perfect skin back - cleanse, tone and moisturize. I was wrong. It did nothing.

Since then, my routine has gone through quite a number of changes, but I won't bore you with all the tedious details of why and how my routine has changed over the past couple of months. Here's the daily routine that I am following currently. It seems to be working well enough for me so far.

Step 1 - Remove Makeup:
I put two drops of Bio Oil onto a small piece of cotton and wipe off the kajal from under my eye. I repeat this for my other eye. For my lips, I use one drop of oil instead of two. I suppose you can use any kind of oil to remove the makeup, but I like using Bio Oil because I find that it makes my lashes grow longer and stronger. A 60 ml bottle of Bio Oil is available on Nykaa for Rs. 316. I use the oil only on my eyes and lips, but if you're going to use it on your face, make sure the oil you're using is non-comedogenic. Bio Oil is supposedly non-comedogenic, but I had a breakout when I put it on my face, so please be careful with whatever oil you put on your face.

Step 2 - Cleanse:
I don't have a preference for any brand of cleanser. I just make sure that I am using something which is super gentle on my face since I have sensitive skin. Right now, I am using the Biotique Bio White Advance Fairness Face Wash. A 300 ml bottle of this gel-based face wash costs Rs. 180 on 
Nykaa which is really cheap. What I like about this face wash is that it is 100% soap-free and it has a lot of fruit extracts which are supposed to brighten your skin. It cleanses your face without stripping all the moisture from it. In the past, I have also used The Face Shop Herb Day 365 Acerola Cleansing Foam, a 170 ml tube 
of which retails at Rs. 270 on Nykaa, which is a good deal I think. This face wash is also super gentle on your face while doing a pretty good job at cleansing. If I have any active pimples on my face, I use the Aroma Magic Neem and Tea Tree Face Wash, a 100 ml tube of which is available on Nykaa for Rs. 144. 
Also, I use a silicon cleansing pad for washing my face. I was really skeptical when I bought it, but after just one use, I was sold. It cleans my face a lot more effectively than if I was using just my hands. I have very visible blackheads on my nose and after using the pad for the first time, I saw the blackheads reduce significantly in number - something that many nose strips have failed to do. So, I firmly believe in the power of the cleansing pad. It is pretty cheap. I bought mine on Amazon for Rs. 170 from a brand called Okayji, but there are numerous similar options on Amazon.

Step 3 - Tone:
I tone my face with my homemade toner - apple cider vinegar, rose water and distilled water mixed in the ratio 1:1:1. I usually mix a tablespoon each of the 3 ingredients to make about 50 ml of toner. This will easily last me a couple of weeks at least. I'm sure all of you know how to use a toner. I just wet a piece of cotton ball with the liquid and wipe my entire face with it, especially focusing on the acne prone areas.

Step 4 - First Anti-Acne Treatment:
This is when I put on my pimple cream - Biotique Bio Winter Green Spot Correcting Anti Acne Cream. I used to use a spot correcting face pack, but it lengthened my routine considerably since I had to wait for the pack to dry and then wash it off. So, I prefer this cream immensely. This cream gets absorbed into the skin very quickly and it is very lightweight. I saw a visible difference in my acne and acne scars after using this cream for only a few times. So, yeah, I would say this works for me really well. A 15 gm tub of this cream is available on Nykaa at Rs. 149.

Step 5 - Moisturizer for Face:
I use my DIY night cream containing shea butter, turmeric essential oil and lemon essential oil. You can find out how to make it here. I have only been using this for a few days, but this keeps my skin nicely moisturized and it also hasn't caused any breakouts, which is a win-win in my book.

Step 6 - Fine Lines and Hyperpigmentation treatment:
I originally bought the Mizon Snail Recovery Gel Cream to use as a moisturizer, but it broke me out after the first use. Still I didn't want the product to go to waste, so I have been using it as a sort of anti-aging and anti-pigmentation cream since it has skin regenerative properties. I use it on the fine lines around my eyes and the laugh lines around my mouth. I also use it generally all around my mouth, which is where I have hyperpigmentation. I bought a 45 ml tube of this product from a seller called Rasabeauty for Rs. 700.

Step 7 - Second Anti-Acne Treatment:
I take a drop of tea tree essential oil on my finger and gently apply it on my acne and acne scars. The oil I use is from Aroma Treasures and a 10 ml bottle costs Rs. 230 on Nykaa.

Step 8 - Moisturizer for Lips:
I use the Biotique Bio Fruit Whitening Lip Balm to moisturize my lips. I have pigmented lips and this has helped in lightening the skin on my lips a little bit. What it does best though is keep my lips soft and moisturized.

Apart from this, I also use a sheet mask and a face pack once a week.

And that's it guys! This routine has worked great for me so far. I will post an update if anything changes!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Product Review: Globus Remedies Glycolic Acid and Salicylic Acid Face Wash

I usually go for face washes that are gentle on the skin like The Face Shop cleansers. So, when I came across the Globus Remedies Glycolic Acid and Salicylic Acid Face Wash on Nykaa, I was a bit apprehensive. To the uninitiated i.e. myself, the fact that this cleanser contains glycolic and salicylic acid may seem scary. But this has a rating of 4.5/5 on Nykaa, so I decided to give it a shot. Ingredients: The product label lists glycolic acid, salicylic acid, aloe vera extract, Vitamin E acetate & gel base as the ingredients. The percentage of acid in this cleanser is very less: 2% glycolic acid and 1% salicylic acid. I did some research (meaning that I Googled stuff for a bit) and found out that glycolic acid, which is an alpha hydroxy acid or AHA, can be neutralized with water if it is less than 10% in concentration. If it is greater than 10%, you will need to use a neutralizer after application of the acid. Salicylic acid, which is a beta hydroxy acid or BHA, is a bi

Why You Should Use a Face Cleansing Pad

Until recently, I didn't know that a facial cleansing pad even existed. Then, I saw some videos on YouTube where people swore by them - they said it has completely transformed their skin, which seems like a pretty big claim for such a simple product. So, I decided to try it out. Exactly a month back, my cleansing pad arrived from Amazon and I put it to test the same day. I could see a difference from just one use. The prominent blackheads on my nose diminished and my face felt much cleaner than usual. The cleansing pad acts similar to an exfoliant. The small bristles on the pad are gentle enough that they won't damage your skin, but they do a great job of removing impurities and dead skin from your face. Because the pad is made of silicone, it is quite flexible and can get into all the corners, which I really like. How I Use the Cleansing Pad: I just squeeze some cleanser onto the pad and rub it gently all over my wet face until it is clean. I have pretty sensitive

My Acne Problem

I never really had acne growing up. My skin was clear as water in my teenage years, so I didn't have the necessity to follow any skincare regimen. In fact, I only washed my face once a day when I was younger i.e. when I took a shower in the morning, and often went to bed with a makeup on my face. So, I was kind of surprised when I got my first acne breakout two years back. I was twenty three at the time and two years into an IT career that was turning out to be very stressful. Maybe it was the stress, maybe it was hormonal - but that ugly red bump on my face bugged me so much. Little did I know my acne would only grow worse from there. Since that first breakout, acne has been a constant part of my life. I always get acne during that time of the month. I also get acne if I'm really stressed at work, which is pretty much all the time. To make things worse, they're not the type of acne that's tiny and would fade by itself in a couple of days. The acne I get is almost al